BRIAN URANOVSKY SASC
PERFECT HORIZON MARINE STABILISER SPECIALIST
Qualified CAA commercial Drone pilot
UK: Mb: +44 7758 587687, Eml: email@example.com, skype: brianuro
I started my camera career in traditional film and was mentored, amongst others, by one of Jacques Cousteau’s diving colleagues. I have 29 years experience as a Lighting Cameraman/DP, 19 years for SABC. With wide-ranging expertise in international filming, I’m an expert in helicopter aerials, have great sea legs and am fully competent with HD filming; I filmed four times in the Antarctic – a place on this earth which I love, despite the extreme temperatures and camera challenges.
I have also worked as a Director/Cameraman alone for many years on investigative programs and am very comfortable working alone. Covering all aspects of lighting, sound and filming.
Recent work :
2015 Documentary on Migrants at sea off Italy from Italian Coast Guard ship with Perfect Horizon Stabiliser
2015 Vera 6 Detective series ITV off Newcastle water sequences with Perfect Horizon Stabiliser
2015 Doc Martin Water sequences off the Cornish coast with Perfect Horizon Camera Stabiliser
2015 The Canal Trip BBC 4 filming on canal from Bath to the Dundas Aquaduct using Perfect Horizon stabiliser
2014 James Bond SPECTRE Thames river action sequences using Perfect Horizon Stabiliser
2014 & 2015 sea based sequences and plate shots off the coast of Ireland for feature film Sing Street with Perfect Horizon Stabiliser
2014: Sea filming for TV Drama series Outlander filmed off Troon, Scotland using Perfect Horizon Stabiliser
2014: Filming EC225 Super Puma Helicopter operations for Airbus Helicopters, including 200 nautical miles offshore, Luanda, Angola.
2011-2013: Filming great white sharks in South Africa using Perfect Horizon stabiliser for BBC, Discovery and National Geographic
Winterwatch (BBC NHU) filming humpback whales in Ireland using Perfect Horizon stabiliser and Panasonic P2
Autumn Watch (BBC NHU) filming fin and humpback whales in Ireland using Perfect Horizon stabiliser and RED epic camera.
Queen’s Jubilee flotilla on the Thames (multi-camera shoot using Sony 500 HD)
Olympics Thames Opening Sequence Corporate (Perfect Horizon stabiliser operator using 3 Red epics simultaneously)
Air Jaws 4 filming great whites in South Africa with the Phantom Gold and Perfect Horizon stabiliser (Discovery Channel)
In My Shoes (BBC) - 14 x geography related films using Panasonic HD P2 filmed in China and Europe.
World Cup Draw (Deutsche Welle) news stories
World Cup Stadiums (Pitch International for Sports Channels)
16 x 26’ documentaries
World Cup Stories (BBC) 6 x stories set in South Africa
BAFTA AWARD nominee (2010)
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
I have filmed in a wide range of geographical areas and climactic extremes, including: Angola, Antarctica (four times), China (6 different provinces), Europe, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, USA – extremes include deserts and high seas.
Special Expertise: helicopter aerials, filming from boats, (sea, river & lake shoots) using Perfect Horizon (PH) stabiliser, interview techniques and lighting.
I have the exclusive worldwide licence for 4 Perfect Horizon camera stabilisers, excluding the US; this is high net worth specialist equipment, designed for filming at sea.
White Shark Dilemma for SABC 50/50, South Africa’s leading wildlife programme
Leopards in the Shadows - BBC NHU Natural World
Daniel & Our Cats – Multi-award winning film for Animal Planet Int/Discovery (ROSCAR award, CINE Golden Eagle, New York Broadcasting award, Finalist Magnolia Awards, Shanghai)
The Ivory Trail – award winning film for SABC
Moose In The Glen - BBC NHU Natural World, South African sequences
Coast to Coast – Madagascar, Pugmark Films, India
Cape Parrots in the wild – Cape Parrot Special SABC/50/50
Quickserve Fruit, Ballisto Chocolate, Windhoek Beer, Coca Cola, Peter Stuyvesant cigarettes, Panasonic Toughbook (helicopter aerials), Shell
Includes: Saldanha port (incl. iron ore & oil & gas terminals), Marketing for National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI), Whitbread Yacht Race sponsors, Ferrari, Maserati, Fruit & Veg City, Sekunjalo Fishing, Thyssen Krupp Marine (German submarines); Cape Tourism; Reality Shows: ‘Get Out’ Travel show (shot on HD for US), Austrian Chef Trettl for Hanger 7/Red Bull Austria, Cooking shows: world chef contests, celebrity French chefs
• Documentaries and News (19 yrs): filmed sea rescues from boat or helicopter, offshore oil rigs, oil tankers, Focus, Special Assignment, Carte Blanche (SABC), BBC, Channel 4 (Africa Express), 83 moving interviews for Washington Holocaust Centre (Survivors of the Shoah)…
• Sport: 2010 World Cup Football (BBC & Pitch International), offshore powerboat races, yacht races, World Gymnastics Birmingham, World Cup Rugby, Rugby Legends, Swedish Olympic team coverage, many other South African or international sports events
• Political Profiles include Bill & Hilary Clinton, Nelson Mandela, Presidents De Klerk and Mbeki, Winnie Mandela.
• Hospital filming for medical programmes: eg. Cornea & lung operations, open heart transplants, HIV/AIDS & TB stories, cleft lip and palate surgery
• Search and Rescue have filmed extensively for 19 years Air sea rescue excersizes and operations with NSRI (National Sea Rescue Institute) South African Air force Helicopter Squadron on ops and search and rescue.
• Winner of South African TV industry award “DISA” for outstanding achievement for The Ivory Trail (documentary on ivory poaching) (1989)
• Transferred to SABC London Office for 1 year (1993) – News & Current Affairs; here I was in charge of European filming;
• Assigned by SABC to work with Ted Koppel (ABC Nightline) in Cape Town (1990) (eg. filming with Presidents Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk)
• Selected to film the 1993 Nelson Mandela USA tour (New York & Washington)
• Filmed in the Antarctic four times – rescue stories on Russian base & Belguim polar explorers (CNN, ABC, SABC,CBS)
• Elected as a member of the South African Society of Cinematographers (SASC)
• 2015 Member of the Guild of Television Cameramen
TRAINING & EDUCATION
• I trained in film with Gary Haslau, one of Jacques Cousteau’s diving collegues, in underwater filming, commercials and documentaries.
• Thereafter I learnt video camera skills and worked 19 years as SABC staffer as a Specialist cameraman/Editor (TV News) before I became freelance.
• 1976-1978 – South African military training
• First Aid courses at SABC and SA military
• Helicopter ‘dunking’ training ( Cape Town Sea Survival Centre /SABC TV News)
• Multi-camera techniques (SABC)
• Antarctic Survival Training – Dept. of Environmental Affairs, South Africa
• 3D course, Cape Town
• CMAS Diving courses, South African Navy & South African Underwater Union
Steven Spielberg (Producer/Director) Ref letter available
Ian Wienberg NSRI (National Sea Rescue) firstname.lastname@example.org
Howard Godfrey NSRI (National Sea Rescue) email@example.com
Bernard Vreulink (Pilot Helicopter Rescue) firstname.lastname@example.org
Vimeo showreel : http://vimeo.com/81712998
Vimeo link: https://vimeo.com/71887836
Short film shot in Rotterdam harbour for the BBC as a schools learning tool to teach children aged 8-12 about life in one of the world’s major harbours. This includes many fast-paced sequences with ships and pilot boats.