Fujifilm launches latest in the FUJINON Premista series: 19–45mm T2.9
A new wide-angle zoom lens, compatible with large format cinema cameras, which delivers a natural image with little distortion throughout the entire zoom range.
GTC sponsor FUJIFILM UK Ltd is pleased to announce that the Premista 19–45mm T2.9, a wide-angle zoom covering focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm, will be released on 28 January 2021 as the third model in the Premista Series of cinema zoom lenses, which includes the Premista 28–100mm T2.9 and 80–250mm T2.9–3.5.
The Premista 19–45mm covers large-format sensors*1 and delivers outstanding high resolution, natural and beautiful bokeh, and rich tonality.
The Premista 19–45mm is a compact and premium-quality wide-angle zoom lens, developed with Fujifilm’s optical technology nurtured over many years. It effectively controls distortion*2 to deliver natural images with little distortion across the entire zoom range.
Fujifilm continues to support high-quality movie production by widening the range of focal lengths covered by the Premista series to 19–250mm.
Large format shooting on the rise
In recent years, there has been an increased uptake of cinema cameras equipped with large-format sensors capable of capturing high-quality and richly expressive images. Many productions choose to shoot with prime lenses for many reasons, one of which is the outstanding optical performance. However, when shooting with prime lenses, it is often necessary to pause shooting in order to change the focal length. Therefore, there is a growing demand for zoom lenses to help complement, and in some cases even replace, prime lenses without compromising image quality or cinematic character.
In 2019, Fujifilm released both a standard and telephoto zoom lens as part of the Premista Series of zoom lenses for large-format cameras. The series has been praised by cinematographers for its natural colour reproduction, strong contrast, beautiful bokeh and gentle focus fall-off throughout all focal lengths, as well as the wide range of focal lengths itself.
Compatible with large-format sensors to deliver outstanding high resolution, natural and beautiful bokeh and rich tonality
- By featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements polished to ultimate precision and Fujifilm’s unique zooming system, the Premista 19–45mm effectively corrects chromatic aberration to create images with impressive sharpness and clarity.
- The lens effectively reduces distortion, which tends to occur when shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, to achieve natural scenes regardless of the subject distance.
- The 13-blade iris design forms a near-perfect circular aperture that produces natural and beautiful bokeh with gentle focus fall-off.
- The use of cutting-edge optical design and Fujifilm’s unique coating process allows minimal ghosts, controllable and cinematic flares and excellent black levels for SDR and HDR workflows.
Wide-angle zoom covering focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm
- The Premista 19–45mm covers strategic focal lengths equivalent to five prime lenses*3, thereby reducing the need to change lens for fast and efficient shooting, with no rebalancing. The intentional focal length overlap with the Premista 28–100 allows this lens to be more than just a wide lens – it becomes the go-to close-up lens for many handheld stabilised shooting setups.
- At 19mm, when used on an ARRI Alexa LF/Mini LF*4, it gives approximately the same horizontal angle of view that a 13mm lens would give on Super-35 3-perf film.
- The Premista 19–45 allows for a constant T-stop value of 2.9 across its focal length range.
- The lens can form a kit with the Premista Series standard and telephoto zooms to cover focal lengths from 19mm to 250mm.
Compact design and excellent robustness
The use of proprietary optical simulation technology and mechanical design technology enables a compact yet robust lens body measuring 228mm / 9” and weighing 3.3kg / 7.3lb that can withstand harsh professional shooting conditions.
- The Premista 19–45mm shares the same front diameter and gear position for the focus, zoom and iris operating rings as the other two Premista zooms. This allows the shared use of accessories such as matte boxes and follow-focus systems, without the need to readjust accessory positions when swapping lenses.
- It features a flange focal distance adjustment mechanism*5, allowing technicians to easily adjust the flange focal distance by unlocking and rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct shifts in the flange focal distance sometimes caused by rapid temperature changes.
- The focus ring has a wide rotation angle of 280 degrees and gives smooth torque during rotation for precise focusing and excellent operability. Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be visibly checked even at night or in a dark room.
Compatible with the ZEISS eXtended Data
Along with the 28–100 and 80–250 lenses, the 19–45 lens also supports ZEISS eXtended Data, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the /i® Technology*6 communication protocol. This allows users to record metadata during video shooting, including lens distortion and shading fall-off, thereby reducing video-editing workload in post-production and facilitating efficient video production.
*1 Large image sensors and film that measure between 43.2–46.3mm diagonally.
*2 Image distortion that tends to occur when shooting at wide-angle focal lengths.
*3 Five prime lenses for cinema cameras compatible with large-format sensors with focal lengths of 21mm, 25mm, 29mm, 35mm and 40mm.
*4 The ARRI Alexa LF sensor has a width of 35.9mm. Super-35 3-perf has a width of 24.9mm. Other large-format cinema cameras have different width sensors therefore will show a slightly different horizontal angle of view.
*5 Also known as back focus, this function can adjust the lens’s image-forming plane to the optimum position according to each camera’s flange focal distance (the distance from the lens’s mounting reference plane to the image sensor).
*6 /i is a trademark or registered trademark of Cooke Optics Limited.
See the full specs for the Premista range